SAR Elementary School Poster Contest
To obtain the Saramana Chapter SAR Youth Awards Brochure By-fold please click HERE.
This Brochure describes ALL of our Youth Award Programs.
The National Society SAR Americanism Committee is pleased to announce the SAR Poster Contest. This competition is intended to stimulate interest in American History in support of the Elementary School curriculum which is generally when the American Revolution is taught. Entries from lower grades, home-schooled children or other organizations as listed below may be accepted based on the age equivalency of the student to the stated grade levels or proof that the American Revolution was taught at the lower grade level. This contest is endorsed by the National Art Education Association (NAEA).
Who May Participate:
1. Students in the 3rd, 4th or 5th grade depending on which year the American Revolution is taught by
the school system.
2. Parochial and home school students of equivalent age/grade are eligible.
3. Members of the Children of the American Revolution (C.A.R.), Cub Scouts and Brownies of equivalent
age/grade are eligible when their local school is not participating.
Poster Contest Topic: It is highly suggested that each state society chose a specific topic within the confines of each above stated topic for ease of judging on the chapter and state levels.
1. For academic years ending in even numbers, the theme shall be "Revolutionary War Events."
2. For academic years ending in odd numbers, the theme shall be "Revolutionary War People."
For those Chapters in Florida, the theme for the 2018-2019 school year shall be "James Madison and Our Nation's Founding Documents".
The theme for the 2019-2020 school year shall be the "Battle of Thomas Creek".
1. Only one (1) poster will be accepted from a State SAR Society as their entry for the national contest.
2. All entries must have a fully completed entry form submitted by the stated deadline.
3. No direct submissions from individuals will be accepted.
4. In the event that the local school is participating, then entries must be channeled through the school to
the SAR. No contests independent of a participating school may occur.
5. Entry forms must be emailed to the NSSAR Americanism Committee Chairman with a copy emailed
to the NSSAR Education Director. Email addresses are available on the NSSAR website.
1. The contest will be conducted concurrently with the academic year.
2. The deadline for entry forms to be received at National is June 1st.
3. The deadline for posters to be submitted for judging is 9:30 am on the Sunday of Congress that year at
the National Headquarters Office at the Congress site. Posters can be mailed either to
a. The National Headquarters no later than two (2) weeks prior to Congress.
b. The Host Hotel for the Congress no later than ten (10) days prior to Congress with the
marking "Attn: Americanism Poster Contest" placed on the mailing label.
c. Hand delivered to the National Headquarters Room at the Congress by the above stated time.
Judging the Posters: The following criteria are used to judge posters:
1. Does the poster express the annual theme?
2. Does the poster show originality by the student?
3. Does the poster show evidence of research?
4. Does the poster show artistic merit and creativity?
5. Does the poster accurately reflect the event or person depicted?
6. Is the poster neat and visually pleasing?
Rules and Regulations:
1. All posters must be two dimensional. No three dimensional entries will be allowed or accepted.
2. Posters may be submitted either on traditional poster board or thicker display board. The maximum size
of the poster board is 24 inches by 36 inches.
3. Computer aided graphics designed material may be used on the posters. However, this material must be
of original design. No commercially produced or printed material such as clip art will be allowed. Use of
trademarked or copyrighted material will be grounds for disqualification.
4. Each local school winner will compete at the chapter level. Each chapter winner will compete on the
state society level. Each state society winner will compete on the national level.
5. Only one (1) entry from each State Society will be accepted.
6. A completed entry form must be emailed to the NSSAR Americanism Committee Chairman with a copy
to the NSSAR Education Director no later than June 1st.
7. The poster must be in the possession of the NSSAR Education Director no later than 9:30 am on the
Sunday of Congress so that there is sufficient time to display the posters for judging by the Americanism
Committee. No posters will be accepted for judging after this time.
8. All posters will have a copy of the respective entry form affixed to the back of the poster. This entry form
copy will not be considered the official entry form but will only be used to identify the poster for
judging and retrieval purposes. The student's Social Security Number and address must be redacted on
the affixed copy of the entry form.
9. Judging will be conducted by the members of the NSSAR Americanism Committee present at the annual
Congress who are in attendance at the committee meeting.
10. All posters will be displayed by the Americanism Committee at the Congress after judging is completed.
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place posters will be displayed at the National Headquarters building for the year
after the contest. All other posters must be retrieved by the respective state societies by the end of
11. Contest winners will be announced at the annual Youth Awards Luncheon during Congress.
1. First Place: Monetary award, a Blue Rosette Ribbon and Certificate
2. Second Place: Monetary award, a Red Rosette Ribbon and Certificate
3. Third Place: Monetary award, a White Rosette Ribbon and Certificate
4. Each participating State Society will receive a Flag Streamer
All questions or inquiries about this contest should be emailed to the NSSAR Americanism Committee Chairman.
The Saramana Chapter SAR Cash Awards are:
First Place Winner receives $75.00
2nd Place Runner-up receives $50.00
3rd Place Runner-up receives $25.00
How the contest works:
• Each local school winner will compete at the local Chapter level.
• Each Chapter winner will compete at the State level.
• Once the State Society has selected a winner, that poster will compete at the National level.
Only one (1) entry from each State SAR Society will be accepted.
The deadline for Saramana Chapter SAR entries is April 1. The Saramana Chapter SAR winning poster is to be delivered to the Florida SAR Committee Chairman on the first day of the Spring BOM / Annual Meeting. For 2019 that is May 10.
Required Form download:
To obtain the Required form, you can click on Poster Contest (Applicant Form). Another option is to go to the National Society web page at: https://www.sar.org/education/youth-contests-awards/americanism-elementary-school-poster-contest. The Form is right after a description of the contest.
To obtain the SAR Poster Contest Instructions, you can click on Poster Contest (Instructions). Another option is to go to the National Society web page at: https://www.sar.org/education/youth-contests-awards/americanism-elementary-school-poster-contest. The Form is right after a description of the contest.
To obtain some information on James Madison and Our Nation's Founding Documents, please click on Madison and Documents.
Please note that the Required Form will necessitate that you have and use the latest version of the “FREE” Adobe Reader.
For more information on obtaining and using Adobe Reader, please click on Using PDF Files.
Instructions: AFTER you have opened the Poster Contest (Applicant Form).
Please save the opened form to your computer and SAVE the file with your name and the Contest name as the file name. For example, “Sam Compatriot Poster Contest.PDF” . By having your name as part of the “file name”, another contestant’s file can NOT be saved on top of your file. The folder where you save the document is your choice. Just remember where you saved it.
Now please CLOSE the web page where you obtained the Form and OPEN the saved file on your PC to Continue
The “Applicant” should complete the Poster Contest “Applicant Form”. The Saramana SAR Chapter Committee Chairman is responsible for completing the SAR Information. Please review the instructions and complete the form with all applicable details.
If there are ANY places on the form that request a “Signature”, please type in the appropriate name. These forms are NOT designed to be printed. After you have completed and saved the form to your computer, then the “Saved” form and any other requested documents are to be emailed to the Committee Chair named below, or absent a Committee Chair to the Chapter President named below. Hand written applications are NOT approved.
Contest entries MUST be submitted as PDF files attached to emails.
If possible, please request a “Read Receipt” so that you will know that your file was received.
To e-mail Steve Fields, click on firstname.lastname@example.org or call (941) 228-6123.