NSSAR Color Guard Handbook
The NSSAR Color Guard Handbook is available at:
Look under Manuals for the Color Guard Handbook
SAR Color Guardsman Magazine
Current and Past Issues of the SAR ColorGuardsman Magazine
is available at https://sar.org/sar-colorguardsman .
Each issue is published in a PDF format (which requires the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader).
Saramana Color Guard - Veterans Day 11-11-2016 with City of Sarasota Mayor Willie Shaw.
Color Guard Medals
The NSSAR Color Guard Medal was authorized in 1998 and may be awarded for service to the Society at the National, District, State and Chapter Levels. Recipients may only receive the award once at each level (once at Chapter/State levels, and once at District/National Levels). Oak leaf clusters are not allowed.
The Chapter, State Society, District, or National, Color Guard Commander will be the final person who shall have the awarding authority of the medal at the appropriate level. The Chapter, State Society President, the Vice President General, and the President General will award the appropriate medal at the appropriate level.
The Bronze Color Guard Medal
The Bronze Color Guard Medal is for service at the State and/or Chapter levels. Each medal is awarded for at least three years of service at the applicable level. The three years may be broken, not continuous. Award of each medal may be for retroactive service, so that any living compatriot may receive it, even if he cannot march anymore.
Qualifications: Each State Society shall determine for itself whether to employ one of the following systems for earning the Bronze and Silver Color Guard Medals. The first system is based on points; the second system is based on the number of events in which a Guardsman participates.
In January 2014, under Florida SAR Color Guard Commander Steve Williams, The Florida Society changed from the “Event System” to the “Point System.”
A. Point System
1. To earn an SAR Bronze Color Guard Medal, a Color Guardsman must accrue at least three hundred (300) points by participating in uniform at qualifying Chapter and/or State Color Guard events.
2. A Color Guardsman shall earn five (5) points for his participation in uniform in each Chapter event. A Chapter event shall be defined as an event in which a Chapter participates, but to which an invitation has not been extended to the State Color Guard. Examples include, but are not limited to: participation at schools, civic clubs, churches and other public organizations, Chapter meetings, flag retirement ceremonies, local veterans events, local Revolutionary War event celebrations, proclamation ceremonies by local governments, and similar local events. The Chapter President should approve a Chapter event before the event may be counted.
3. A Color Guardsman shall earn ten (10) points for his participation in uniform in each State event. A State event is an event in which the State Color Guard has been requested to participate. Examples include, but are not limited to: Revolutionary battle and historic sites celebrations, grave markings, parades, State Society meetings. The State President should approve a State event before the event may be counted.
4. A Color Guardsman must keep track of the events in which he has participated, and must prove that he has accrued 300 points to the State President or State Color Guard Commander, or to such other appropriate State authority.
5. For Color Guardsmen whose State societies employ the point system, they may also earn points based on mileage, whether such miles are traveled by driving or by flying. (Please see the NSSAR Color Guard Manual for updated numbers).
• Up to 100 miles, 0 points;
• From 101 to 200 miles, 5 points;
• From 201 to 999 miles, 10 points;
• From 1,000 miles and over, 20 points.
B. Events System
1. To earn an SAR Bronze Color Guard Medal, a Color Guardsman must participate in at least 50% of the scheduled Color Guard activities for his State and/or Chapter in each of three years, which do not need to be continuous. A year shall be any period of twelve consecutive months.
is for service at the State and Chapter Levels For Chapter and State Society level (Bronze medal), to have a satisfactory year, the participant must attend 50% of the scheduled activities of the Chapter or State Color Guard concerned.
The form for Saramana is available for you to save on your own Computer at:
Saramama Color Guard Nomination Form
The form for the Florida Society is available for you to save at:
Florida Society Color Guard Nomination Form
You may need to save Multiple Copies of these forms.
The Silver Color Guard Medal is for service at the District and National Levels.
The Von Steuben Medal
The National Von Steuben Medal for Sustained Achievement in the NSSAR Color Guard may be awarded for sustained service to the Society as a Color Guardsman at the National or District Levels. Its precedence is higher than the Silver Color Guard Medal, but lower than the Gold Color Guard Medal.
The Gold Color Guard Medal may only be worn by the National Color Guard Commander and his Deputy. It may also be worn by the NSSAR Color Guardsman of the Year.
Pictures of your Saramana Color Guard
June 14, 2015
On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM your Saramana Chapter SAR participated in: “Celebrating the Stars and Stripes” at Patriot Plaza, Sarasota National Cemetery.
This event was sponsored by the Sarasota Chapter of the Military Officers Association
The 65 musicians of the POPS Orchestra of Bradenton and Sarasota joined in celebrating the 238th birthday of our nation’s flag. The unique ninety minute musical event focused on the origin and history of the United States Flag as presented by Mr. Vane Scott III, who brought to life this amazing story.
Pictures are available at the Sarasota Observer web site:
And at the Sarasota Herald Tribune web site:
The members of your Saramana Color Guard that participated and our wife’s really enjoyed the performance.
We really need more Saramana Compatriots to join our Color Guard.
Saramana Color Guard on Veterans Day 11th Day 11th Month 11th Year
Saramana Color Guard gathering for Sarasota Memorial Day Parade 2011
Saramana Color Guard at Patriots Park in Venice
Liberty Tree Marker at Patriots Park in Venice
Saramana Color Guard at the DAR Constitution Week Luncheon, September 17 2016